social, health, political imagery through the lens of G J Huba PhD © 2012-2021

Archive for

this is NOT 2015

The two most important “doctors” I have for trying to remain self sufficient are Dr Google and Dr Me. To a large degree these “doctors” help me plan, schedule, and try to stay independent as well as lessening the burden my disease places on my caregivers. Both Dr Google and Dr Me are largely dependent upon useful and quality and relevant information on the Internet that will guide the decisions I need to make about my own non-medical care. Unlike my medical providers who require appointments weeks (months) in advance, Dr Google and Dr Me are available to consult 24/7 without cost. Make your website communicate better to Dr Me (who has dementia) and you will help him and Dr Google maintain my ability to understand and care for myself. Dr Me and Dr Google advise me on the non-medical activities I can undertake to maintain my quality of life.

As an aside, Dr Google also consults with me as information on my blog site are indexed and catalogued.


Click on the image below to expand it. The mind map shows how Dr Google and Dr Me can work together.

Dr Google and Dr Me Partners in My Dementia Care

© 2015 g j huba phd <===> a HubaMap™

I have concluded that most of what I do for myself as Dr Me is care (case) management. I apply information available and which I can evaluate to help me guide my schedule, my diet, and some of my social interactions. I use techniques I learned or developed to help me think better.

Can everyone get a care (case) manager? Most medical insurance (including Medicare) does not pay for case management so the answer is no. There are, however, various social agencies (check you local area or ask your doctor) who will provide case management for seniors in general and those with special needs for assistance such as people with dementia. Often these services can be obtained at low cost or free. Among others, many religious congregations provide such social services, and usually to all individuals of need irrespective of religion (or lack thereof). Other agencies may be targeted toward LGBTQ or female populations, individuals from specific communities, individuals from cultural and ethnic and racial groups, or individuals with specific diseases. Such agencies will help anyone needing assistance by either providing aid themselves or making sure that you have a referral to the correct agency. Many counties have dedicated agencies to help the elderly (Area Agencies on Aging or a similar name); look at your phonebook or at a local web site and call a local government office. Additionally, many first responders (police officers, fire fighters, emergency medical technicians) are trained to put you in touch with appropriate social service agencies or guide you to someone who can. And, of course, your doctor can guide you to appropriate social care agencies that can help you or train your caregiver.

this is NOT 2015